[Interview] Eva Gordon

Fantasy and paranormal romance author, Eva Gordon lives in Northern California.

Her books include the kabbalistic fantasy, The Stone of the Tenth Realm as well as the three novels that make up her Wolf Maiden Chronicles series: Werewolf Sanctuary (Vanilla Heart Publishing, 2009); Beast Warrior: Viking Werewolf (Vanilla Heart Publishing, 2009), and White Wolf of Avalon: Werewolf Knight (Vanilla Heart Publishing, 2010).

In this interview, Eva Gordon talks about her writing:

When did you start writing?

I started seriously writing about 7 years ago. I enjoyed telling stories to my high school students and realized my imagination took me to wonderful places.

I wanted to share my stories and getting published became my goal.

I joined a critique group, and began to edit and edit. I then sent out my query letters to both agents and publishers. A small UK Press published my first fantasy novel, but we dissolved our contract because they no longer had printing rights in the US.

How would you describe your writing?

Paranormal romance and fantasy writing. Paranormal/Fantasy Romance. The majority are historical.

My target audience are adults - most likely woman though men enjoy my novels as well.

I love all types of stories but books with a great romance make reading them much more enjoyable. I like happily-ever-after.

Which authors influenced you most?

So many, from Jane Austen to Frank Herbert.

However Michael Crichton and Diane Gabaldon touched a chord. Like me they were trained in the sciences and I like their style of grabbing you into the story.

How have your personal experiences influenced your writing?

My passion for wildlife, especially wolves, ravens and horses inspired me to go in a direction that would include them. I love wolf and werewolf lore and do workshops on both topics.

My degrees in zoology and biology influenced my writings by adding a bit of science here and there.

My women characters are often academic or healers. I have taught AP Biology and Anatomy Physiology so women in my stories are smart and independent. They have the brain and their love interest has the brawn.

What are your main concerns as a writer?

Finding the time to promote, because like most writers I would rather create stories and nothing else.

However, I do set time apart for promotional work and have learned that this is my time to connect with social groups and have fun.

What are the biggest challenges that you face?

The lack of money from the countless hours of work and dedication. This amount of energy in any other work situation would have made me a CEO by now.

Do you write everyday?

At least five to six days a week.

I first check my e-mails and put them in folders for later. Then I sit in my office and begin.

I start by looking at my outline and the story plays out like a movie I am watching. I never know what the characters will do until I watch them in my imaginary movie. I then translate the visual into the written word.

I aim for at least 2,000 words a day.

I also do research since most of my paranormal novels are historical. I end the day when I have reached my scene goal or, if overwhelmed, I end it when 2,000 words have been completed.

How many books have you written so far?

I have four fantasy novels.

The first, The Stone of the Tenth Realm is a kabbalistic fantasy first published by a UK Press. I am now out of contract and am trying to sell and I will let you know later.

The next three are part of my Wolf Maiden Chronicles series:
What would you say your latest novel is about?

White Wolf of Avalon: Werewolf Knight takes place during Arthurian Times.

It is Book 3 in the Wolf Maiden saga and revolves around intrigue and circumstances within the lycan secret society in Arthur’s Britain.

In the novel, Bledig, a werewolf raised by humans, only wants to be a knight in King Arthur’s court but is told he must unite a pack against evil lycan lord, Gorlagon. He refuses to follow his destiny until he meets Annora, a woman philosopher and his destined mate.

How long did it take you to write White Wolf of Avalon: Werewolf Knight?

The rough draft usually takes about three/four months but I edit daily.

The novel was published by Vanilla Heart Publishing in March 2010 because a small Indie seemed like a good starting place. Small Indies are more open to new writers. Very helpful to newbie questions.

One disadvantage small publishers present is that there is no distribution at book stores or chains such as Target so one must go to the bookstore to request a signing. Most folks buy books because they see them out in the front of the store and that is the disadvantage of a small publisher.

What sets Werewolf Knight apart from other things you've written?

It’s still a paranormal romance historical/fantasy novel but with problems only found during King Arthur’s times. Unlike the earlier stories my male protagonist does not want to be a lycan.

Since it is part of a series, the secret lycan universe is the same. There is always an alpha lycan looking for his human female mate, a wolf maiden with the mark of the lycan print.

And what will your next book be about?

Lycan Gladiator, which takes place during Roman times.

I am also working on my Stone Trilogy and a Raven Shifter trilogy. And another lycan contemporary in the series is also in the works.

What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?

Getting published and getting some really great reviews.

Possibly related articles:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Interview] Rory Kilalea

writers' resources

[Interview] Lauri Kubuitsile